Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Yatai

On Saturday night I went out for ramen and a few drinks with friends, but afterward we were bored and thought that we would just walk around downtown and find something to do. Well, we walked around for about an hour without finding anything- until we spotted the Yatai.

A Yatai is like a little bar/grill built on the back of a truck. It's outside, just parked on the sidewalk with a grill in the middle. Then there are two benches for maybe a total of 6 people to sit on. This one was a little bigger, and there were a few other tables and chairs next to it too.

So we just walked up and sat down and had a few beers with the other drunken patrons. A few of the people there tried to speak some English with us, but they only knew a little, so it was interesting. Thank God Pascal knows some decent Japanese.

The highlight of my night? A drunken Japanese man who sat next to me and tried to talk to me in broken Engrish the whole time. I think the only sentence in Engrish he could master was, "I'm 48 and single." This was the same guy that was passed out on the bar for the first hour we were there- lucky me he woke up. At least Pascal made a friend that night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home